RE167: Number one with the news and pictures!
Inside the April 2010 issue:
• News: The government announces that the expensive IEP project is on hold. Direct Rail Services Class 20/3s in line for London Underground ‘S’ stock delivery moves. The first stage of the HS2 route between London and Birmingham is revealed. Grand Central HSTs to be repowered with MTUs. Network Rail publishes strategies for the Great Western Main Line and Midland Main Line. First Great Western loco-hauled to be axed as cascaded DMUs arrive. General Motors Class 59/2s are taking over from the last operational Class 60s.
• News in pictures: A Direct Rail Services Class 66 gets Fastline colours, 66048 James the Engine is recovered and interesting workings for Colas machines.
• News is pictures special: With First GBRf taking over the Rio Tinto Alcan contract from DB Schenker, we present before and after coverage of the freight flow.
• Feature: The early privatisation era saw Pete Waterman’s fleet of former Rail express systems locos receive LNWR black, while the InterCity Charter Services coaching stock fleet was given plum and spilt milk. The full livery history of Waterman Railways loco fleet is here.
• Railtours: Our columnist looks back at his first trip on a F&W Railtours charter, which took place 30 years ago! Includes full railtour listings for April.
• Preservation: BR blue is gaining in popularity. We illustrated newly repainted 20048 and former FM Rail 31128. The sorry tale of ‘Peak’ D14 reaches court.
• Time Traveller: Three decades ago, Bury Bolton Street station was axed in favour of a new Interchange station. Do you remember the Class 504 EMUs?
• Columns: Your favourite in-depth monthly reading – Messroom, Traction & Rolling Stock, Unitary Authority, Coaches, Wagons and Irish Angle, complete with superb supporting photography.
• Modelling: With the arrival of the Hornby Mk. 3b DVT (reviewed in the previous issue), RAIL EXPRESS Modeller provides a guide to suitable formations as our popular Modeller’s Guide series returns. We also take a look at the latest new products, including the Heljan BTH Type 1 (Class 15) and new DCC-fitted Bachmann ‘Warship’. Finally, we have the full run down of new diesel and electric era items revealed by Bachmann for 2010, which includes a Class 85 (AL5), ‘Desiro’ EMU and an FNA nuclear flask wagon.
On sale via subscription and specialist distribution (March 27th) or from your local newsagent (March 30th).