RE165: The best pictures, the latest news
Inside the February 2010 issue:
• News: Chiltern Railways targets Oxford and plans Class 67-hauled trains to take over on key Birmingham services. East Coast Main Line timetable planners have a ‘Eureka’ moment with new clockface schedule, DfT looks to longer franchises, DB Schenker’s ‘Tesco Express’ starts with a bang as boss Keith Heller’s forthcoming retirement is commemorated with a new locomotive repaint. Failures and poor communication leave Eurostar passengers fuming, and HS2 route details leaked – madness as HS1 and Heathrow links unlikely to be included.
• News in pictures: Total whiteout as snow blankets the UK distrupting road, rail and air traffic. We publish the best images of the glorious sun and snow combinations presented to our contributing photographers.
• Feature: A by-product of the break up of British Rail under privatisation, Royal claret has been applied just one shunter and four main line locomotives in the last decade and a half. Our feature recalls the origins of the dedicated Royal Train fleet, which began with Res Class 47s and is now, controversially, provided by a German company with Spanish traction!
• Feature: Our traditional end of year summary looks back over a another busy year for the rail industry. 2009 was notable for a number of reasons. On the positive side the quantity of locomotive-hauled trains increased and a new diesel type arrived to challenge the domination of the Class 66s. This was balanced by the high profile failures of National Express and Advenza Freight, as well as DB Schenker’s plan to remove the Class 60s from traffic. Our look back includes some stunning photography.
• Railtours: This month our columnist takes a ride on a seasonal special organised by the Penistone Line Partnership, which took locals on a day out to a popular Christmas market at Skipton. Plus railtour listings for February.
• Preservation: ‘Deltic’ D9016 Gordon Highlander enters preservation for the third time. There are green repaints for two more Class 47s, but the sale of 56134 falls through after it is robbed by thieves at Healey Mills.
• Columns: Your favourite in-depth monthly reading – Time Traveller, Messroom, Traction & Rolling Stock, Unitary Authority, Coaches, Wagons and Irish Angle, complete with superb supporting photography.
• Modelling: A special extended edition of our RAIL EXPRESS Modeller supplement has something for everyone, providing they enjoy wagons and multiple units! There is a detailed history of the ‘Presflos’ by a well known expert to go with our review of the new Bachmann model, while the Mostyn boys describe the construction of their incredible BRCW Class 104 DMUs. There are first pictures of the new Bachmann Class 03 and Hattons Class 14, while we look back over the modelling highs and lows of 2009. What was our favourite model of the year and which one will get the wooden spoon?
On sale via subscription and specialist distribution (Jan 28th) or from your local newsagent (Jan 30th).