RE164: Is the end near for Class 60?
Inside the January 2010 issue:
• News: Government commits to North West electrification infills and considers ECML franchise shake up, National Express to lose c2c and East Anglia routes, DB Schenker cuts Class 60 fleet to just four locos, DRS and the DfT praised for Workington flood response, First GBRf takes over FGW Taunton diagram and a study promotes Old Oak Common as the new High Speed 2 terminus.
• News in pictures: GM Type 5s take over heavy Murco flow, Devon & Cornwall colours for another Class 31, Cambrian Class 37 bonanza and Railhead Treatment Train season comes to an end.
• Reviews: A strong month for new books and DVDs sees a bumper reviews page, covering publications on the ‘Warships’, ‘Grids’, SR/BR EMUs, LMS diesel shunters, departmental wagon stock and the year 2009 in review.
• Feature: In the follow up to its well-regarded ‘Book of the Deltics’, specialist publisher Irwell Press has moved onto the D600 and D800 ‘Warships’. We present a taster for the modern traction reference work using a selection of images from the publisher’s files.
• Columns: Your favourite in-depth monthly reading – Railtours, Preservation, Traction & Rolling Stock, Unitary Authority, Irish Angle, complete with superb supporting photography.
• Modelling: Extended coverage of the news from the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition at the NEC in November, along with latest product information from the major manufacturers. Bachmann to produce the General Electric Class 70, Heljan to make the BRCW Lion prototype and four early BR Railbuses, while Dapol announces more china clay wagons in a link up with Kernow. There are also reviews of the new Bachmann 4-CEP and retooled ‘intermediate’ Class 47, and Graham Farish’s Class 24. Finally, the Mostyn team’s big push sees 42 new DMU, coaching and freight stock added to the roster in time for the Wigan show!
On sale via subscription and specialist distribution (Dec 22nd) or from your local newsagent (Dec 23rd).