RE162: British American reveals DCR Class 31.
Inside the November issue:
• News: Re-engined Class 56s and rebuilt Class 08s planned by British American, Government plans sale of High Speed 1, St Pancras International and a stake in Eurostar to pay debt, West Coast loco-hauled to go daily, Taxman winds up Advenza Freight, DB Schenker gets ready for Stobart Rail traffic take over, railtour promoter Flamboyant Trains goes bust and ATOC pushes key electrification projects.
• News in pictures: Class 73s are in the news with Whitemoor’s large logo example, ‘Barbie’ blue 73213 and UKR/GBRf ‘ED’ powered railtours all being illustrated. Plus a round-up of the changes in the Railhead Treatment Train deployment, which this year has seen DB Schenker dominate and Colas Rail closed out completely.
• Reviews: Our lead review takes a look at a fantastically designed new ‘coffee table’ book. If only all publications looked this good!
• Feature: October 2009 is the 10th anniversary of the first trains under the Freightliner Heavy Haul brand. Paul Shannon describes ten glorious years of growth, which has seen the operator grow from no bulk traffic to a share of the cement, aggregates, petroleum, sand, potash and many other freight flows.
• Columns: Your favourite in-depth monthly reading – Railtours, Preservation, Traction & Rolling Stock, Unitary Authority, Irish Angle, complete with superb supporting photography. Some columns feature expanded coverage such as a full shunter location listing.
• Modelling: The second part of the late-Doncaster Class 56 detailing feature sees 56075 and 56102 take shape thanks to the addition of some superb etches from Shawplan. We review the latest locomotive from Heljan, Hawker Siddeley HS4000 prototype Kestrel, and the latest release from Flangeway, Graham Farish and Bachmann. Plus the latest news and reviews and a preview of the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition at the NEC.
On sale at your local newsagent or via subscription (Nov 3rd).