RE161: New loco introduces new image for Freightliner.
Inside the October issue:
• News: Wrexham & Shropshire to merge with Chiltern Railways. Network Rail outlines high speed route ‘vision’. Freightliner and General Electric show off pictures of painted ‘Powerhaul’ locomotives. Train builders unveiled new generation multiple unit designs. E.ON contract extension for Fastline Freight. New open access bid plans to use GNER name.
• News in pictures: Last scheduled run for D1013 Western Ranger, Chiltern-liveried Mk. 3b DVT enters service, Bulgarian Railway Company’s BR blue Class 87 and the best pictures of Spitfire Railtour’s excellent ‘Cumbrian Coaster’ tour, which saw a pair of DRS Class 37/5s and James the Engine as power.
• Reviews: Our lead review takes a look at a new modern traction annual, while there is a round up of the latest new book, diary and calendar releases.
• Feature: The third and final part of David Rapson’s guide to North Wales Coast locomotive-hauled passenger trains brings the story up to date. The last twenty years would have been expected to see the gradual run down of diesel loco haulage on the NWCL but somehow it keeps on going!
• Columns: Your favourite in-depth monthly reading – Railtours, Preservation, Traction & Rolling Stock, Unitary Authority, Irish Angle, complete with superb supporting photography. Some columns feature expanded coverage such as a full shunter location listing.
• Modelling: Three milestones are celebrated in this exciting issue of RAIL EXPRESS Modeller. We say farewell to Paul Wade’s excellent Tonbridge West Yard, which has flown the NSE flag on the exhibition scene for two decades. RfD special 47145 Merddin Emrys may have recently been scrapped, but it lives on here in model form. It’s the 100th instalment of the Mostyn serial. Plus the latest news and reviews.