RE158: Decision time for DRS over Class 20s
Inside the July issue:
• News: DB Schenker wins a five-year contract to operate services for the Royal Mail, taking over from First GBRf. Direct Rail Services sends its Class 20 fleet to Eastleigh Works for assessment, but how many will get overhauls? Colas Rail begins Dollands Moor to Hams Hall container service. South Central remains Southern as Govia retains franchise. Past-Time Rail goes ‘bust’. New freight terminal opens in Telford. Government reorganises London & Continental.
• News extra: 20 British locomotives are in action in Spain on high-speed work, find out more here.
• Feature: Popular with enthusiasts and photographers the original Direct Rail Services colour scheme is being rapidly replaces with the ‘compass’ image introduced with the Class 66/4s. In the latest installment of our popular Retrospectrum series, Simon Bendall gives a history of the livery and a full run-down of the locomotives which carried it.
• Nostalgia: Two decades ago, British Rail accepted the first Class 60 Type 5 at a handover ceremony at Brush, Loughborough. Plus the railway, current affairs and pop music news from 10, 20, 30, 40 & 50 years ago.
• Preservation: The Mid-Hants Diesel Gala – the first in four years – flops but the organising team promises to listen to enthusiast feedback. The Plym Valley is the new home for No. 50017 Royal Oak, while there is a listing of all the latest Class 50 news, including happenings with Nos. 50008 Thunderer, 50026 Indomitable, 50049 Defiance and several others.
• Columns: Your favourite in-depth monthly reading – Railtours, Traction & Rolling Stock, Unitary Authority, Irish Angle, complete with superb supporting photography. Some columns feature expanded pictorial coverage.
• Modelling: Reviewed is the much anticipated Bachmann Class 150 ‘Sprinter’ DMU, while there is a run down of the latest new products, which includes a surprise brand new 4mm scale Mk. 3b Driving Van Trailer from Hornby, which will be released in September this year! Plus, we present a selection of images of new models on display and some of the layouts that attended the recent DEMU Showcase Event at the beginning of June.