RE153: Goodbye EWS, Hello DB Schenker!
Inside the February issue:
• News: The DB Schenker rebrand is rolled out on the first locomotive, Class 59/2 No. 59206. Direct Rail Services and Stobart Rail officially launch the second ‘Tesco Express’ with a second Class 66 repaint – James the Engine. Network Rail is under fire as the WCML is in winter chaos, the Government approves Heathrow runway three with only a slight nod to a second high speed rail link, and ATW and the Welsh Assembly look at direct Aberystwyth to London trains.
• Feature: The last 12 months saw a huge number of changes on the railway, and, for once, that weren’t all terrible news for the enthusiast! Many old friends, Class 37s and 47s mainly, return to the main line, there were notable new loco-hauled developments and ‘open access’ freight and passenger operations took off. We look back at 2008.
• Pictorial: To coincide with the end of the EWS brand, we illustrate some notable images from the life of the former Wisconsin Central owned freight and mail operator, that hit the UK way back in 1996 with the take over of Rail express systems.
• Columns: Your favourite in-depth monthly reading – Railtours, Preservation, Traction & Rolling Stock, Unitary Authority, Irish Angle, complete with superb supporting photography. Some columns feature expanded pictorial coverage.
• Modelling: All the news from the world of diesel and electric era modelling, which includes the latest pictures of our Bachmann special edition Thornaby Class 37/5s. We also visit the Airthrey Park, the Scottish 1980s layout of well known modeller Andrew Donnelly.