RE149: EWS to begin Class 60 overhauls.
Inside the October issue:
• News: FirstGBRf celebrates the Chinook helicopter and its crews with naming, up to 30 Class 60s to get heavy overhaul in early 2009, Government cuts South Central franchise to five years, new liveries for DRS machines, ATW and Grand Union battle to provide loco-hauled Welsh North-South express service.
• Feature: With the Virgin ‘drags’ to Holyhead soon to be cut to just one weekend diagram, RAIL EXPRESS took a ride on a Class 57/3 and ‘Pendolino’ set over the North Wales Coast Route.
• Nostalgia: 1988 saw Network SouthEast recieve its first Class 321 EMUS, while a decade ago West Anglia Great Northern repainted Hornsey pilot 03179 in its livery. This, plus the current affairs and railway headlines from 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 years ago in Time Traveller.
• Columns: Your favourite in-depth monthly reading – Railtours, Preservation, Traction & Rolling Stock, Unitary Authority, Irish Angle, complete with superb supporting photography. Some columns feature expanded pictorial coverage.
• Modelling: Heljan’s Class 58 in Railfreight Coal livery was a huge disappointment when it was released earlier this year. We give the model the ‘treatment’ with ten easy upgrade steps as 58020 Doncaster Works. There is also a bumper crop of reviews, with numerous new ‘N’ gauge items, along with Bachmann’s BDA and Dapol’s ‘Grampus’.